How energy is passed through living things can be described as a food chain. Journey through a food chain, from primary producers at the bottom to tertiary consumers at the top.
- A 'food chain' describes how energy derived from the Sun passes between living things.
- Producers are plants that harness the Sun's energy and convert it to sugars.
- Primary consumers, or herbivores, feed directly on the plants.
- Secondary consumers, or carnivores, feed on other animals.
- At different stages of the chain, some of the original energy is lost - this is often represented as pyramid of biomass.